We at Vermillion are a family owned and operated business serving the Spokane and sorrounding areas for over 25 years. Total customer satisfaction is our primary goal. We work closely with you to determine exactly...Read More


Click on a question from the right menu or scroll down to find your answer. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please call 509-850-1479.

What areas do you work in?
We service eastern washington both in drilling and pump work.

Do I need a permit to drill?
Yes, the current fee is $200.00 and we will handle the permit on your behalf.

How do I decide where to drill?
Several factors determine where to drill:
  • Terrain and accessability to the well, now and in the future
  • Legal distances to property lines, septic, structures, and roadways
  • Location of present and future homesites and structures

Should I have my property " witched "?
In some areas where water is not abundant witching may increase your chances of finding water while narrowing the search for it.

How deep will I have to go to find water?
The depth and amount of water available vary from area to area, researching local well logs in your area will help us determine the cost, constuction techniques and depth of your well. Along with our experience this helps us give you the best possible estimate before you drill.

How much water will I need?
That will depend on your needs. The average usage is 100 gallons per day per person. Landscaping should also be a consideration in your daily needs. For a single family residence 1 GPM is required to recieve a septic and building permit. Most lenders require 3-5 GPM. Most public water systems supply 10 GPM, Which is more than adequate water for most needs.

How and when do I pay for the work done?
All payments are due at time of completion. When drilling a well a partial deposit of one third the estimated cost is needed prior to scheduling and the remainder at completion. General pump service work is due at completion. We accept check, visa, and mastercard. Exceptions are allowed if prior arrangements are made in advance.

What is a well screen and do I need one?
A well screen is usually made of either PVC or stainless steel. Screens are primarily used in wells that encounter sands or gravels. Screens hold back these materials while allowing the water move freely through them. The necessity for a screen is dependant on the well's tendancy to pump sand or grit.

What is the surface seal?
A surface seal is typically a bentonite or bentonite slurry, A form of processed clay. It is placed around the casing in the borehole annulus to a minimum depth of 18 feet to protect the well from possible surface contamination.

What is casing and how much will I need?
Casing is a metal pipe designed to sheath the borehole. Casing is installed until rock, water, or a cosolidated formation is reached. A minimum of 20 feet is required by state regulations. A consolidated formation is one in which it has the ability to remain open indefinitly.

What is the PVC liner and do I need one?
A PVC liner is similar to casing only made from poly vinyl chloride, a very hard form of plastic and is perforated and installed from inside the casing to the bottom of the well. This helps eliminate anything ever falling or collecting around the pump, it also helps prolong the life of the pump motor by increasing the flow velocity of the water needed to cool the motor.

What is the difference between an airtest and a pump test?
An air test is a method of injecting air into the well to force the water to the surface to be measured. Although effective, this sometimes produces a GPM amount that is more or less the actual well production. A certified pump test is an accurate measurement using a pump to pinpoint the exact GPM and amount of drawdown in the well, when in use. Most county regulations and financial institutions require a certified pump test for permits and home loans.

What brands of pump do you install?
We can, and do install most major brands of pumps on request, but we primarily install both GRUNDFOS and the FRANKLIN TRI SEAL lines. We have found these pumps to be very reliable, efficient, and affordable for top tier pumps.

Do I need a pump house?
No, there are many alternatives to the traditional pump house. Every house is different so in turn not every water system is the same. We can help explain the various ways to house your controls and find a perfect fit for you.

What is a pressure tank?
A pressure tank stores a small amount of pressurized water while the pump is in standby mode, along with that it also helps in the cooling process for the motor and pump. The size and quantity of tanks required is dependant on your pump size and motor horsepower. A bad pressure tank is one of the leading causes of premature pump failure. Manufacturers reccommend having the air in them checked annually.

- Top -